Habitat for Humanity
|This year we are sponsoring the rehabilitation of two homes, one Bellevue Avenue and one on Third Avenue, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity-MidOhio. We began on April 30th on Bellevue Avenue.
The photos below are from June 29, 2016 when we uncrated the range and refrigerator, installed the range, reversed the door handles on the refrigerator and installed the refrigerator.
Note: You may click on any photo below to get a better view. Low fidelity images of these photos are on the web site to reduce loading times. If you would like a higher resolution image of any photograph,
just send an email to Howard Baulch.
reports that there have been unique visitors of our group's progress.
- April 27, 2016 - Pre-construction meeting held at Habitat for Humanity-MidOhio offices with the prospective homeowner family.
- April 30, 2016 - Brought the tools and materials into the house, cut down and trimmed outside areas, repaired vinyl siding on the neighbor's west wall, removed and cleaned all switch and outlet covers, removed and cleaned wall air grates, pulled up the carpet tack strips, removed nails and staples from the OSB floor and stairs, repaired all major drywall issues (sanding and final skim coat still remains), repaired many minor drywall issues, removed all trimwork that requires replacement, cleaned kitchen cabinets, cleaned fixtures on the master bathroom tub, vacuumed the entire house, checked insulation levels in the attics, investigated several electrical issues, removed all window blinds and associated hardware, removed remaining picture hooks, nails and curtain rod hangers from all walls, removed bathroom towel bars' hardware and mirrors, cleaned paint off of upstairs bathroom vanity as well as trimwork in a number of rooms, took down closet shelving to make wall painting easier, and removed light globes for cleaning.
- May 4, 2016 - Sanded Saturday's drywall repairs, made many more drywall repairs, painted the ceilings throughout the house, replaced the first floor bathroom light switch, replaced a living room outlet, and replaced the sump pump discharge piping.
- May 7, 2016 - Held the Commencement Ceremony, sanded all walls, rolled a coat of paint on most of the main living area and part of the stairwell, cleaned the basement egress window well and added gravel to it, installed basement light fixtures, investigated the cause of the bowed bathroom window and found insulating foam as the culprit, removed the foam, braced it level and secured it with screws in all window flange slots, removed a base cabinet next to the oven to accommodate a dishwasher and used that cabinet to replace a damaged island base cabinet, removed the range hood, removed the front gutter to prepare for fascia repair, refastened the rear downspout to the gutter, and lined the bottom of several kitchen base cabinets with vinyl sheeting.
- May 11, 2016 - Removed the interior door trim from the two exterior doors (to facilitate painting and later door replacement), prepped the upstairs bathroom for painting including removing layers of old paint off the tub and vanity top and removing the light fixture, cleaned the upstairs bathroom toilet, completed one coat of paint in the upstairs bathroom, hung a door for the upstairs bathroom and installed a privacy door knob set, and completed rolling the first coat of "primer" on all walls on the first floor, both stairwells, the upstairs hallway and the upstairs southern bedroom.
- May 12, 2016 - Applied drywall compound to the imperfections found on the primed walls.
- May 14, 2016 - Sanded the drywall patches from Thursday, cleaned the baseboards which had been removed earlier and determined which ones could be reused, caulked the upstairs bathroom window and replaced the home-cleaned window sill, caulked both bathtubs, lined the bottom of the remaining kitchen cabinet, cleaned and re-installed both bathroom fans, replaced the basement egress window, rerouted the television cable lines from the floor to wall boxes in the living room and master bedroom, cut out the drywall in the upstairs bathroom for replacement and installation of a work box for the new light fixture, removed the downstairs bathroom light fixture and installed a work box for the new light fixture, cut-in wall paint at the ceiling on the main floor except for the bathroom, replaced the front porch fascia aluminum, put a strip of aluminum above the rear porch where blue board was exposed, cut new shelving for the kitchen cabinets, began cleaning installed trimwork, completed rolling the first coat of "primer" on all walls on the second floor and removed the upstairs knee wall cap.
- May 16, 2016 - Patched drywall anomalies on the second floor "primed" walls, taped, cut-in and rolled a coat of paint in the master bedroom and master bathroom, cut-in paint at the ceiling and the cap wall of the upstairs stairwell, and taped and cut-in most of the kitchen and living areas.
- May 18, 2016 - Put second coat of paint on every room except the upstairs bathroom, re-installed the front porch gutter and attached the downspout, partially secured the gutter above the front porch, added an elbow to the downspout at the rear of the house, set the A/C unit upon concrete blocks, replaced the pressure relief valve on the water heater, cleaned the egress window, installed smoke and CO detectors on the first floor, pulled the first floor toilet for flooring installation and painting, re-installed wire shelving in coat closet and master bedroom closet, plugged the hole in the siding where the electric cable enters the house, touched up ceiling paint, installed new light in master bathroom, and the crack in the upstairs shower tub was professionally repaired.
- May 21, 2016 - Laid luan in the living room to start to raise it to the level of the vinyl in the dining and kitchen area, touched up and finished cut-in of wall paint throughout the house, finished rolling paint throughout the house except for the upstairs bathroom where the drywall modification for the new light continued to progress, put two coats of white exterior paint on both new exterior doors and door frames, installed the new kitchen vent hood, laid new vinyl tiles in the master bathroom, re-installed the door bell chime, leveled the AC unit, mounted almost all of the outlet and switch covers, cleaned paint off existing baseboards, re-installed a baseboard and window apron in the upstairs northwest bedroom, re-nailed a number of loose baseboards, vacuumed the upstairs and the stairwells and began to clean porch aluminum.
- May 25, 2016 - Powerwashed the house siding and the shed, sealed around A/C refigerant line, cleaned porch soffits, laid vinyl in the living room to raise it to the level of the vinyl in the dining and kitchen area, repaired the dryer vent pipe, re-installed the final switch wall plates, installed coax wall plates, cut and re-installed base cabinet kickplates, finished cleaning and lining all base cabinets with vinyl sheeting, worked on plumbing for dishwasher line, installed mirror in master bathroom, re-installed upstairs closet shelving, finished knee wall cap installation, cut and installed upstairs bathroom window apron, continued upstairs bathroom wall work for new lighting, and began re-installation of baseboard.
- May 28, 2016 - Leveled the shed, brushed one coat of paint on the shed, brushed two coats of paint on the front and back porch posts, railings and kickplates, completed interior rerouting of the hot water heater vent line, completed rerouting of the hot water heater supply lines, re-attached the vinyl starter strip on the rear wall, hung and trimmed all interior doors upstairs, replaced the front exterior door and installed the new door knob sets on it, installed the phone outlet in the living room, replaced the receptacle and switches in the upstairs bathroom, finished all baseboard on the main floor, finished all baseboard upstairs except for nailing one piece in the bathroom, finished baseboard in the stairwells except for one back wall, installed all door knob sets to newly hung doors upstairs, replaced escutcheon plate in upstairs toilet supply line, finished shoe moulding in the master bathroom, set the toilet in the master bathroom, replaced vanity faucet in master bathroom, replaced toilet seats, replaced toilet supply line in the upstairs bathroom, installed new escutcheon plate for toilet supply line in upstairs bathroom, installed accessories (towel bar, towel ring, etc.) in both bathrooms, adjusted and tightened all cabinet hardware where needed, removed the old mailbox 4x4 post and concrete, and moved the concrete blocks and bricks to the curb.
- June 1, 2016 - Painted a second coat of paint on the shed, installed a new hasp for the shed, installed the rear exterior door and associated locks, did miscellaneous wall painting and all window recess painting, added joint compound to wall damage above the front door, dug new post hole location, installed post and cut to mailbox height, installed the bathroom light upstairs, put on new cabinet door bumpers, removed all kitchen counter tops, secured the water heater outside vent pipe to the house wall, installed escutcheon under upstairs bathroom sink, and repaired the rear siding starter strip.
- June 4, 2016 - Readied the drain line, water supply line and electric for the dishwasher, installed new the mailbox and corrected Saundra's mailbox as well, fixed siding behind a downspout, installed cabinet pulls, foamed exterior doors, installed peep holes, installed window trim moulding in dining area, stained handrail, put a third coat of varnish on knee wall cap, cleaned all windows upstairs, puttied nail holes, hung doors in the master bedroom and bathroom and associated door hardware (except closet), checked for floor nails/staples upstairs, reinstalled ceiling light globes upstairs, changed three passage door hardware for privacy sets on bedrooms upstairs, fixed a loose window balance spring, installed window blinds upstairs, and put a lock on the shed.
- June 8, 2016 - Mowed the lawn, unclogged and cleaned the upstairs toilet, installed the exterior doors' screw covers, touched up the ceiling paint, removed the cement stones from the backyard, edged and pulled weeds from the beds and around the house, added another coat of paint on the upstairs bath east wall, trimmed foam and touched up paint on the exterior doors, installed master bedroom closet door knob set, adjusted cabinet doors where needed, finished baseboard installation, installed trim on stairwell corner, trimmed out the upstairs knee wall cap, put a coat of poly on the new handrail, installed door stops on all hung doors, scrapped paint off ceramic tile in upstairs bathroom, spread gravel around shed, trimmed bushes, cleaned downstairs ceiling fixtures and installed globes, cleaned out shed, cleaned windows, sills and frames downstairs, replaced screens in all windows, finished repair and painted drywall above front exterior door, did paint touch-up in master bedroom, stairwell and upstairs southern bedroom, painted the basement stairs stringer and one-half of the basement stairs, and replaced the upper window sash in the upstairs northeast bedroom.
- June 11, 2016 - Spread topsoil to direct water away from the house foundation and level low areas, spread grass seed and hay, watered the seed and hay, installed the upstairs bathroom mirror, removed all doors in areas to be carpeted. cleaned all rooms in areas to be carpeted, set three kitchen countertops, replaced the kitchen sink ceiling light, put two more coats of poly on the new stair railing, finished the first coat of paint on the basement stairs, replaced three cold air return covers, caulked baseboards upstairs and in the master bedroom, laid all vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen, dining area and living room, and installed the threshold strip between the master bathroom and the kitchen.
- June 15, 2016 - Re-hung the doors in the newly carpeted areas, painted the gas meter, vacuumed the newly laid carpet, cleaned the master bathroom cabinet, laid carpet protector, put a second coat of paint on half of the basement stairs, cleaned the tile and grout in the upstairs bathroom, puttied nail holes in trim work, hung the basement door, trimmed both exterior doors and one side of the basement door, almost completed shoe moulding in the vinyl plank flooring areas (need one more piece of trim to complete), cut quarter-round and returns for the exterior door thresholds, trimmed shorter and hung four of six bypass closet doors, installed the dishwasher, installed the shower escutcheon in the master bathroom, spread more grass seed, and spread straw over the seeded areas.
- June 18, 2016 - Connected the kitchen counter "L" section, set both countertops, set the kitchen sink, installed the bedroom bypass doors, finished shoe moulding installation, caulked trimwork and filled remaining nail holes, painted the front door kick plate, sowed grass seed on some bare spots, added straw, watered seed and straw areas, did some wall touch-ups with drywall compound, painted numerous spots on walls, and put tar on exposed roofing nails.
- June 21, 2016 - Mowed the grass, trimmed the vines on the back fence line, finished the door trim on the basement door, installed the reducer for the basement door threshold, installed a new faucet in the upstairs bathroom, installed the dishwasher, cleaned both bathrooms, moved all Habitat materials and tools out of the house and shed, installed the kitchen sink faucet and spray, cleaned the basement, installed window blinds in the upstairs bathroom, cut and nailed together the new stair railing, hung all four stair railings, installed the garbage disposal, caulked the kitchen countertops, and finished the final coat of paint on the basement stairs.
- June 22, 2016 - Cleaned the toilets, sanded wall repairs, put two coats of paint on wall repairs, swept porches, cleaned out the shed, cleared the grass out of the chain link fence, installed the kitchen sink drain, cleaned all cabinets, hand cleaned the vinyl siding on the front porch, wiped down all doors in the house, wiped down walls, vacuumed and mopped the vinyl plank flooring, installed an angle bracket under the counter over the dishwasher and removed all supplies and tools from the house.
- June 25, 2016 - 801 Bellevue Avenue is dedicated!
- June 29, 2016 - Uncrated the range and refrigerator, installed the range, reversed the door handles on the refrigerator and installed the refrigerator.
- June 30, 2016 - Sanded, re-stained and applied polyurethane to both miters of the upper handrail, removed the switch to the upstairs bathroom fan and replaced it with a blank, moved the shed keys from the kitchen drawer to the kitchen counter so that they were visible, and corrected the spray on the kitchen faucet.