Habitat for Humanity
of Greater Columbus
It is our desire to build one new affordable home each year in partnership with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Columbus. To do so, we must raise $45,000 to sponsor a home build. When we began this process in 2004, we were having difficulty raising the full amount, so we began to investigate other sources of income. Most fund raisers done in the past by our group raised between $400 and $1000 each. Such projects would not materially help us, because we were very short of the goal. We began to investigate fund raising opportunities that could make a material impact on the difference.
The ones that were investigated closely had to do with using the construction talents of our charity's volunteers; the idea being that we could use volunteer construction labor as a fund raiser. We discovered a rehab opportunity of a rental property on South Brinker Avenue. It looked like a project we could manage in the summer. The property owner also happened to be one of our volunteers and agreed to contribute $10 per hour to Hilliard Adopt-A-House for each volunteer hour worked. The funds raised by this project helped us build another new home in the future.
After starting to investigate fund raising projects, we identified additional pledges and attained the $45,000 goal for 2004. Funds from this project were used to fuel our 2005 affordable home project.
These photos provide a view of Hilliard Adopt-A-House's rehabilitation project on Brinker Avenue. Twenty-eight different volunteers worked on 112 occasions for a total of 661 hours. Of that total, 503 hours went toward our fund raiser. The following churches contributed to this effort: Hilliard United Methodist, Indian Run United Methodist, St. Brendan Catholic, St. James Lutheran, and Scioto Ridge United Methodist. We thank these churches and their volunteers!
A view of the property BEFORE we started:
Our volunteer days:|
- June 5, 2004 - Took down ceiling drywall, demolished delapidated storage sheds and prepped for restoration efforts.
- June 8, 2004 - Took down remainder of ceiling drywall, put in cat walk, cleaned out debris, installed telephone and cable wiring.
- June 12, 2004 - Rewired most of home, hung some garage ceiling drywall, almost completed garage door installation.
- June 18, 2004 - Completed garage door installation and made miscellaneous drywall repairs.
- June 19, 2004 - Almost completed house wiring, hung ceiling drywall in three bedrooms and the living room, and applied tape and mud to installed ceiling drywall.
- June 26, 2004 - Hung more drywall, and applied tape and mud to installed drywall.
- June 30, 2004 - Applied textured ceiling to three bedrooms and taped kitchen and dining area.
- July 6, 2004 - Applied textured ceiling to hall, living room, dining area and kitchen ceilings, and taped most of garage ceiling.
- July 10, 2004 - Hung drywall in bathroom, installed bath tub, and hung and taped remaining garage ceiling drywall.
- July 17, 2004 - Framed out half bath/laundry room and vented for dryer.
- July 21, 2004 - Hung drywall in the half bath/laundry room, sanded walls, and taped the bathroom and half bath.
- July 24, 2004 - Finished all taping and applied the second coat of mud in the bathroom, kitchen and garage.
- July 28, 2004 - Textured garage, bathroom and laundry room ceilings and applied second/final coats of mud in various areas.
- July 30, 2004 - Put on final coat of mud in the bathroom and laundry room and cleaned walls in two bedrooms.
- August 4, 2004 - Cleaned the remaining walls and primed the entire interior.
- August 10, 2004 - Refinished some drywall areas.
- August 11, 2004 - Primed the garage, replaced the rear door and put a top coat of paint on three bedrooms and the laundry room.
- August 14, 2004 - Put a top coat of paint on the remaining interior and primed the eaves.
- August 17, 2004 - Painted trim and replaced the front door.
- August 24, 2004 - Laid tile.
- August 30, 2004 - Laid tile and did some painting touch-up.
- September 7, 2004 - Put in baseboard trim and bathroom cabinet.
- September 8, 2004 - Hung kitchen cabinets.
- September 16, 2004 - Hung laundry room door and finished trim.