Habitat for Humanity
|This year we are sponsoring the new construction of a home on Myrtle Avenue, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity-MidOhio. The project began on April 17th with the dig.
The photos below are from August 16, 2017 when corporate partner volunteers and Habitat construction leaders set roof trusses except over the front porch, installed sub-facia was installed, moved both tubs inside and sheathed the other half of the garage roof.
Note: You may click on any photo below to get a better view. Low fidelity images of these photos are on the web site to reduce loading times. If you would like a higher resolution image of any photograph,
just send an email to Howard Baulch.
reports that there have been unique visitors of our group's progress.
- April 17, 2017 - The dig!
- April 18, 2017 - The holes!
- April 25, 2017 - The foundation walls!
- May 8, 2017 - Foundation backfilled and basement floor insulated.
- May 9, 2017 - Looked at the progress on site (the basement was poured today) and had the pre-construction meeting with our partnership family, Habitat for Humanity and one of the corporate sponsors.
- May 23, 2017 - Corporate sponsor volunteers cut the lumber and OSB for the exterior and interior walls.
- May 24, 2017 - Corporate sponsor volunteers assembled all exterior and interior walls of the house.
- June 7, 2017 - Leveled some rough backfill areas around the foundation, prepped the foundation walls for the sill plates, moved all loose lumber, OSB and small floor trusses to the mobile mini, and laid the sill plates.
- June 10, 2017 - Constructed the load bearing basement stair walls, installed the A/C bracket, set most of the trusses, installed LVL beams over both basement windows after considerable discussion with Erik, installed a twin LVL beam on the basement wall which will carry the remaining nine trusses, made 20 I-joist cleats, shoveled dirt around the foundation to improve walking, swept stones out of the basement and wire-brushed the garage sill bolts.
- June 14, 2017 - Made and installed I-joists assembly for the back of the house, installed rim boards between basement window and rear rim joists, glued and nailed two 21 foot LVL beams together which carry the rear portion the second floor and then dropped it into place between two trusses, did some tweaking of the basement load bearing walls to get the two different truss lengths to fit better, installed eight trusses, and doubled up the studs on the basement load bearing walls.
- June 15, 2017 - An HAAH-unaffiliated volunteer group finished the floor truss work and began laying the decking.
- June 17, 2017 - Held the Wall Raising Ceremony, finished the first floor decking, worked on getting the missing strongbacks that didn't get inserted in the truss webbing Thursday, sheathed and erected about 40% of the first floor exterior walls, sheathed two wall sections adjacent to the stair well and pulled them over the basement stairwell opening, and shuffled the pre-fab walls like cards into three groups requiring a fair amount of searching and moving walls to get to the desired one.
- June 21, 2017 - Finished sheathing and raising the west exterior walls, plumbed the west exterior wall, discovered that the front (north) wall was out of plumb and removed the OSB sheathing from the west porch wall to correct it, re-sheathed the west porch wall, sheathed and raised the east exterior wall, built safety rails around the opening to the basement, removed errant nails in OSB sheathing, and nailed areas of OSB sheathing that had been overlooked on Saturday.
- June 24, 2017 - Set up the sump pump to drain the basement from Friday's rain, moved all pre-built interior walls onto the main deck, sheathed and raised the southern exterior walls, completed nailing exterior wall sheathing, cut out the OSB for the exterior doors and windows, raised about two-thirds of the interior walls and put cap plates on about half of the first floor walls.
- July 1, 2017 - Located and erected interior wall 21 and the final four closet walls on the first floor, completed all cap plates on first floor, cut and hung all window and door 2" build-outs (need reinforcement with 4-inch screws), built and installed the LVL between the front door and the closet, and laid out the truss locations except for the rear southeast section.
- July 5, 2017 - Re-organized east mobile-mini, secured all materials, built (but not completely nailed together) basement landing, caulked walls, put base OSB around the first floor trusses, installed wall walking systems on both east and west walls, and began to set the front trusses.
- July 8, 2017 - Corrected a cap plate issue, removed a twist in the hall closet framing affecting truss positioning, re-plumbed two walls, installed all second floor trusses, pumped water from the basement, and made nailing cleats for the I-joists.
- July 11, 2017 - A corporate volunteer group installed some I-joists and started laying second floor decking.
- July 12, 2017 - Rectified some problems with the east wall, sorted and staged second story walls, removed, recut and re-installed I-joists over front porch, adjusted and secured first floor build outs with 4" screws, removed, re-cut and re-installed all rear I-joists, got a good jump on the second floor rear I-joist scheme using the remaining LVL, installed guard rails on the front windows, removed most of the first floor door framing thresholds, put strong-backs in the second floor trusses, and pumped out more sump water.
- July 15, 2017 - Finished installing the I-joists, constructed blocking to support the rim board over the stair well, finished the second floor decking, erected a guardrail around the second floor stair well, constructed the second story
staircase landing, did more air sealing, installed dead wood for kitchen cabinets, installed strongbacks for the front wall, lifted five wall sections to the second floor deck, combined the front two wall sections, and sheathed most of the two sections.
- July 19, 2017 - Took down the northwest section of the walking boards to have an area for hoisting up second floor walls, completed the OSB on the northern most front wall section and raised it, hoisted the next wall section, added OSB and raised it, recognized that the next wall section (over the front porch) was missing a window header, needed some scrap 2-inch Dow board which Andrew found for us in the Thrivent garage, built the window header and added it to wall section 33, hoisted that wall up to the second floor, added OSB and raised it, finished securing strong backs in the second floor trusses, did some more air sealing, created scaffolding over the stairwell in preparation for erecting the east wall, added an additional window guardrail to the rear first floor window, and added some guard rails to the second floor windows.
- July 21, 2017 - A corporate volunteer group built and raised one garage wall.
- July 22, 2017 - The HAAH day was canceled due to thunderstorms and the threat of flash flooding.
- July 26, 2017 - A corporate volunteer group built and raised two garage walls.
- July 29, 2017 - Sheathed and raised the entire east wall and two-thirds of the south wall on the second floor, plumbed and braced walls at several locations, secured stair landing decks, installed basement and second floor stair cases, added the dead wood for the kitchen base cabinets, largely completed first floor stud marking on the floor, and installed one porch post bracket.
- August 1, 2017 - A corporate volunteer group raised the remaining second floor walls.
- August 2, 2017 - A corporate volunteer group cleaned up the work site, prepped the garage roof trusses, completed the garage walls and covered some of the second floor trusses with OSB.
- August 3, 2017 - A corporate volunteer group raised the garage roof trusses, added fascia bosrds and sheathed half of the garage roof.
- August 5, 2017 - Finished adding the porch post and beam brackets, installed both porch corner posts including partial beam construction, framed for the microwave vent over the stove, added missing jacks to one door, added cripples under several windows, nailed and re-nailed several second floor OSB seams, re-plumbed some second floor walls, made modifications to the second floor angled wall, added nails to second floor wall section joints, finished anchoring second floor walls to subfloor, installed the cap plates atop the second floor walls, and added a nailer and sheathed one roof truss.
- August 9, 2017 - Continued roof truss preparation, completed adding cripples to windows, built out the upstairs southeast window, moved all of the lumber package from the front yard to the mobile mini, straightened the base plate of the second floor east wall, re-plumbed the second floor east wall, reworked the upstairs linen closet walls, built and raised the upstairs knee walls, and marked cap plates with the truss layout.
- August 11, 2017 - Corporate volunteer set up wall walking system on the second floor east and west walls.
- August 12, 2017 - Added 2x6 top plates to porch beams, prepped all remaining gable trusses with sheathing, rake overhang, returns, fall protection straps, and lift holes, installed mounting blocks for meter base smart trim, replaced the back door build-outs, marked 2” reference line on top plate of west wall (both levels), shimmed some jack studs, installed fire stop in radon pipe chase, installed corner bracket on second floor landing, installed temporary handrail in basement stairway, installed temporary strongbacks to support gable trusses and installed 2x4 support for porch trusses.
- August 15, 2017 - A corporate volunteer group started DOW board installation on the first floor walls, added the 5/8” redhead anchors to the porch post bases, finished beam and top plate of the rear porch, and added blocking for window curtains.
- August 16, 2017 - Corporate partner volunteers and Habitat construction leaders set roof trusses except over the front porch, installed sub-facia was installed, moved both tubs inside and sheathed the other half of the garage roof.