Habitat for Humanity
|This year we are sponsoring the new construction of a home on Myrtle Avenue, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity-MidOhio. The project began on April 17th with the dig.
The photos below are from June 21, 2017 when we finished sheathing and raising the west exterior walls, plumbed the west exterior wall, discovered that the front (north) wall was out of plumb and removed the OSB sheathing from the west porch wall to correct it, re-sheathed the west porch wall, sheathed and raised the east exterior wall, built safety rails around the opening to the basement, removed errant nails in OSB sheathing, and nailed areas of OSB sheathing that had been overlooked on Saturday.
Note: You may click on any photo below to get a better view. Low fidelity images of these photos are on the web site to reduce loading times. If you would like a higher resolution image of any photograph,
just send an email to Howard Baulch.
reports that there have been unique visitors of our group's progress.
- April 17, 2017 - The dig!
- April 18, 2017 - The holes!
- April 25, 2017 - The foundation walls!
- May 8, 2017 - Foundation backfilled and basement floor insulated.
- May 9, 2017 - Looked at the progress on site (the basement was poured today) and had the pre-construction meeting with our partnership family, Habitat for Humanity and one of the corporate sponsors.
- May 23, 2017 - Corporate sponsor volunteers cut the lumber and OSB for the exterior and interior walls.
- May 24, 2017 - Corporate sponsor volunteers assembled all exterior and interior walls of the house.
- June 7, 2017 - Leveled some rough backfill areas around the foundation, prepped the foundation walls for the sill plates, moved all loose lumber, OSB and small floor trusses to the mobile mini, and laid the sill plates.
- June 10, 2017 - Constructed the load bearing basement stair walls, installed the A/C bracket, set most of the trusses, installed LVL beams over both basement windows after considerable discussion with Erik, installed a twin LVL beam on the basement wall which will carry the remaining nine trusses, made 20 I-joist cleats, shoveled dirt around the foundation to improve walking, swept stones out of the basement and wire-brushed the garage sill bolts.
- June 14, 2017 - Made and installed I-joists assembly for the back of the house, installed rim boards between basement window and rear rim joists, glued and nailed two 21 foot LVL beams together which carry the rear portion the second floor and then dropped it into place between two trusses, did some tweaking of the basement load bearing walls to get the two different truss lengths to fit better, installed eight trusses, and doubled up the studs on the basement load bearing walls.
- June 15, 2017 - An HAAH-unaffiliated volunteer group finished the floor truss work and began laying the decking.
- June 17, 2017 - Held the Wall Raising Ceremony, finished the first floor decking, worked on getting the missing strongbacks that didn't get inserted in the truss webbing Thursday, sheathed and erected about 40% of the first floor exterior walls, sheathed two wall sections adjacent to the stair well and pulled them over the basement stairwell opening, and shuffled the pre-fab walls like cards into three groups requiring a fair amount of searching and moving walls to get to the desired one.
- June 21, 2017 - Finished sheathing and raising the west exterior walls, plumbed the west exterior wall, discovered that the front (north) wall was out of plumb and removed the OSB sheathing from the west porch wall to correct it, re-sheathed the west porch wall, sheathed and raised the east exterior wall, built safety rails around the opening to the basement, removed errant nails in OSB sheathing, and nailed areas of OSB sheathing that had been overlooked on Saturday.