Habitat for Humanity
of Greater Columbus
|This album provides a photo journey of the construction of the Adams Family home. You will see volunteers in mission working hand-in-hand with the prospective homeowner to provide affordable housing. Project history and selected past photos are archived as listed below the photos on this page.
On August 24, 2006 volunteers began working on this home. A total of 118 different volunteers participated 454 times for a total of 2,365 hours to build this home. The following churches contributed to this effort: Hilliard United Methodist, Indian Run United Methodist, Mountview Baptist, St. Brendan Catholic, St. James Lutheran, and Scioto Ridge United Methodist. We thank these churches and their volunteers!
On February 11, the home was dedicated after a light snowfall and ready for the Adams to enjoy!
reports that there have been unique visitors of this page.
- January 30, 2006 - Secured pledges totaling $45,000.
- January 31, 2006 - Completed the Adopt-A-House application.
- February 1, 2006 - Advised by Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus that the application is being revised for 2006 and will not be available for at least a week.
- February 12, 2006 - Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus announces that pledge requirements have increased to $55,000 for 2006.
- February 24, 2006 - Made an appeal to Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus for special consideration in meeting the increased requirement.
- March 7, 2006 - Met with the Executive Director and Resource Development Director of Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus to discuss opportunities for meeting the increase without further delaying our application.
- March 16, 2006 - Executive Director of Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus documents steps necessary for approval of application.
- March 24, 2006 - Resource Development Director of Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus approves AAH group's plan to address $10,000 increase and commits to processing the application on March 27th.
- April 5, 2006 - Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus assigns lot at 47 Schultz Avenue to our Adopt-A-House Group for our 2006 build. HFH-GC advises that they are awaiting an award letter for the "2005 Shop Grant" to schedule the dig.
- May 12, 2006 - Received notice from Family Services Director of Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus that we will be building a home for the Adams Family.
- June 5, 2006 - Met one of the prospective homeowners, her aunt and their family advocates.
- August 8, 2006 - Advised by Habitat for Humanity-Greater Columbus that they hope to have a certified address for our home pending resolution of a lot split issue.
- August 24, 2006 - Began layout of wall plates at HFH-GC warehouse.
- August 25, 2006 - Advised by HFH-GC that the certified address is 41 Schultz Avenue.
- August 26, 2006 - Began wall construction at HFH-GC warehouse.
- August 30, 2006 - Completed layout of wall plates at HFH-GC warehouse and checked out the recently poured basement walls.
- September 2, 2006 - Completed wall construction at HFH-GC warehouse.
- September 7, 2006 - Laid I-beam, installed sill plates and began band boards.
- September 8, 2006 - Completed band boards and joist layout.
- September 9, 2006 - Finished main deck.
- September 15, 2006 - Marked the deck for wall layout.
- September 16, 2006 - Raised exterior and interior walls. painted basement stairs, built and raised porch beams, and began hanging insulation board and nailing cap plates.
- September 20, 2006 - Completed cap plates on walls and beams, prepped all trusses, and did truss layout.
- September 23, 2006 - Put in dead wood, put in basement stairs, hung insulation board, and put OSB on the front porch beams.
- September 27, 2006 - Cleaned up, taped insulation boards, made dead wood corrections and laid out garage.
- September 30, 2006 - Raised trusses, laid roof sheathing, installed hurricane clips, laid felt and began drip edge.
- October 4, 2006 - Installed windows, hung exterior doors, finished dead wood for drywall and QA'ed decking.
- October 6, 2006 - AAH Group led Abbott Labs volunteers in building and raising garage walls and raising garage trusses and began plumbinb.
- October 7, 2006 - Shingled house roof, sheathed garage roof, and hung insulation board on garage walls.
- October 12, 2006 - Hung vinyl corner posts and starter strips.
- October 13, 2006 - Finished corner posts and starter strips, hung J- and P-channels, and continued plumbing.
- October 14, 2006 - Shingled garage roof, put roof vents on garage and house, finished insulation board on garage, QA'ed and corrected insulation board on house, hung vinyl siding on three wall sections, cut foundation insulation board at expected backfill line, hung OSB over rear porch to hold insulation, hung insulation board above front porch, and framed front porch for soffits.
- October 17, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- October 18, 2006 - Corrected vinyl siding, installed baffles, put up returns, plumbed waste lines, hung garage vinyl corners and starter strips, and worked on basement shelves.
- October 21, 2006 - Completed vinyl siding on three sides of the home and three sides of the garage, continued plumbing, put up front porch soffit, and hung insulation board on front porch eave.
- October 25, 2006 - Continued plumbing, put in bathroom tub wall spacers, put in drapery rod dead wood, built storage closet, swept garage, basement and front porch, wrapped rear porch beams, and hung vinyl corner and J-channels on rear porch.
- October 28, 2006 - Continued plumbing, put brickmold & aluminum on garage entrance, hung vinyl siding on gables, put aluminum on front porch, expanded front porch returns, assembled porch railings, and wrapped half of the porch posts.
- November 1, 2006 - Continued plumbing, began duct work, completed vinyl siding on house gables, put J-channel and starter strips on garage front, hung soffit, and put up F-channels and vinyl starter row on rear porch.
- November 4, 2006 - Completed vinyl siding of garage and house, completed soffits, completed porch post wraps, built and painted most porch railings, continued HV venting, and did general house clean-up.
- November 8, 2006 - Completed fascia aluminum and continued HV venting.
- November 11, 2006 - Installed porch railings, installed garage door, and put up dead wood for ceiling drywall.
- November 15, 2006 - Installed furnace flue to roof, framed left side of basement stairs and framed attic access .
- November 16, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- November 17, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- November 18, 2006 - Extended furnace flue through the roof and flashed it, installed temp lock on garage door, worked on furnace duct, puttied railing screw holes, and added dead wood in the bathroom.
- November 21, 2006 - Worked on furnace duct, moved all leftover materials to garage for HFH-GC pick up, puttied brick mold, swept/vacuumed main floor and continued plumbing.
- November 22, 2006 - Took measurements for porch stair railings.
- November 25, 2006 - Continued furnace duct, installed and painted step railings, caulked several areas, sanded railings and brick mold.
- November 29, 2006 - Continued furnace duct, trimmed porch posts and painted brick mold.
- November 30, 2006 - Continued furnace duct and painted exterior doors.
- December 2, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- December 4, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- December 5, 2006 - Completed duct work and continued plumbing.
- December 7, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- December 9, 2006 - Sealed duct work and continued plumbing.
- December 11, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- December 12, 2006 - Continued plumbing.
- December 13, 2006 - Completed plumbing rough-in.
- December 16, 2006 - Insulated the home, laid drainage lines for the downspouts and installed phone lines.
- December 20, 2006 - Hung drywall on all ceilings, master bedroom walls, kitchen walls. and one living room wall.
- December 23, 2006 - Completed hanging drywall.
- January 4, 2007 - Swept down walls, primed all walls, cut in first coat of paint, cleaned floors, planted bushes and laid stepping stones.
- January 6, 2007 - Completed two coats of paint on walls, installed window sills, trimmed the attic access, and replaced busted brick mold on front door.
- January 10, 2007 - Cut and laid OFB underlayment and cut and laid linoleum in kitchen, foyer and both bathrooms.
- January 13, 2007 - Installed all but one kitchen cabinet, hung all but one interior door, trimmed doors, began window trim, began baseboards, installed dead bolt locks, installed heat and cold air return covers, installed bathroom fans, sanded basement stairs, sanded and repainted around window sill ends, and caulked seam between windows and sills.
- January 17, 2007 - Completed kitchen cabinets, installed bathroom cabinets, installed door knobs, installed closet door pulls, hung towel bars, installed whole house fan, completed window trim, puttied drywall imperfections and continued baseboard trim.
- January 20, 2007 - Continued baseboard trim, coped closet doors, painted copings, installed closet shelves, finished towel bar installation, hung towel ring, installed toilet paper holders, hung soap dishes, hand painted behind return air vents, re-painted three walls, re-painted side of basement stairs, installed heating vent in basement, installed elbow for dryer vent, puttied nail holes, installed peep holes, hung mailbox, and installed therostat.
- January 24, 2007 - Began plumbing finishing.
- January 25, 2007 - Painted replacement rear exterior door and inside of front door, painted touch-up in house, painted basement stairs, and continued plumbing finishing.
- January 27, 2007 - Replaced rear exterior door, completed trimwork, hung storm doors, installed window blinds, hung bathroom mirrors, cut stair railing, and installed door stops in vinyl areas.
- January 30, 2007 - Finished plumbing.
- January 31, 2007 - Cut, assembled and stained basement railing, sanded floor anomalies, touched up wall paint, puttied nail holes, stained puttied holes, cleaned windows, installed window screens, installed toothbrush holders, painted center of basement stairs, installed hinge door stops and vacuumed OSB flooring in preparation for carpet installation.
- February 3, 2007 - Touched up wall paint, stained puttied nail holes, vacuumed carpet, laid carpet protector, cleaned vinyl floors, vacuumed basement, put three coats of polyurethane on basement railing, installed basement railing, installed door stops, cleaned bathrooms and kitchen, caulked baseboards, checked all power outlets, trimmed and re-hung closet doors, installed closet door guides, secured kitchen countertop, patched two inch hole in basement wall and caulked countertops.
- February 11, 2007 - The home is dedicated.