Habitat for Humanity
|This album provides a photo journey of the reconstruction of a home on East Sixteenth Avenue in Columbus, Ohio. This project is being done in cooperation with Habitat for Humanity of Mid-Ohio. Volunteers in mission are working side by side to provide affordable housing for an economically disadvantaged family in the area. The following churches contributed to this effort: Hilliard United Methodist, Indian Run United Methodist, St. Brendan Catholic and St. James Lutheran. We thank these churches and their volunteers!
Project history and links to past photos are archived below the photos on this page.
The photos below are from December 21, 2013 when the home was dedicated and the keys were given to Ramona!
Note: You may click on any photo below to get a better view. Low fidelity images of these photos are on the web site to reduce loading times. If you would like a better quality image of any photograph,
just send an email to Howard Baulch.
reports that there have been unique viewers of our photos.
- April 25, 2013 - Made a brief visit to view the home rehab project.
- July 6, 2013 - Began work on the home by removing most of the vinyl siding from the house and garage, erected a solid wall into the garage car door area, removed original deck railings, removed front porch soffit material, installed anchor points for working on porch roofs, and installed a new man door and lock set to the garage.
- July 10, 2013 - Framed for a bypass closet door in the northwest bedroom, removed some porch siding, installed ladder hangers in the garage, and added security plate to the garage man door.
- July 17, 2013 - Replaced rotten stud and OSB on southeast corner of the house, applied Kilz to stained areas, and addressed numerous safety issues throughout the house and on the porches.
- July 20, 2013 - Held the Commencement Ceremony, let the family take down some rows of vinyl siding on the porch, and despite some rain continued to remove old vinyl siding, built storage shelves for the garage, and began to install new Dow board on the house.
- July 24, 2013 - Installed rear porch posts, removed rear porch ceiling soffit material, nearly finished half of the Dow board on the west wall, installed vinyl corner posts on garage, wrapped garage man door with J-channel, installed vinyl starter strips on three garage walls, and hung siding on the garage west wall.
- July 27, 2013 - Installed front and rear porch windows, installed front and rear exterior doors, installed new front porch posts, completed Dow board installation on the front and rear porch areas and began wrapping the front porch beam.
- July 31, 2013 - Completed vinyl siding on three sides of the garage, installed two windows, installed mounting boards for the gas and electric meters, installed A/C and dryer vents, and continued with Dow board installation.
- August 3, 2013 - Installed four windows, relocating the living room double window to the upstairs, completed hanging all but one piece of Dow board, marked stud locations, installed the rear door lockset and did some interior cleaning.
- August 14, 2013 - Relocated upstairs tempered glass window, installed all vinyl siding corners, installed three rows of siding on east wall, put Smart Trim on porch beams, and marked stud lines on Dow boards.
- August 17, 2013 - Completed siding starter strip around house, sided first floor on east wall, above first floor window on rear wall, and parts of rear porch area, installed Smart Trim blocking for exterior faucet and sump pump piping, removed porch ceiling shims, and installed Smart Trim under rear door threshold.
- August 21, 2013 - Re-framed for stove hood vent and hung siding on back porch and west wall.
- August 24, 2013 - Hung vinyl siding on the west wall, front porch, above the rear porch and the rear wall, sprayed insulating foam in the holes between floors and the basement sill, and put in batt insulation to seal around ductwork.
- August 31, 2013 - Completed vinyl siding on the east wall, prepped porches for ceiling installation, removed rails and balusters on the sidewalk handrail, and did general interior and exterior clean-up.
- September 4, 2013 - Completed the vinyl siding on the rear of the home.
- September 7, 2013 - Almost finished the vinyl siding, hung porch ceiling soffit, wrapped the rear porch beams and posts, prepped the front porch post wraps, bondo'ed and painted front fascia, replaced southeast corner soffit, installed batt insulation in places that blown insulation could not reach, buried electric ground rods, primed three sidwalk posts, removed the front yard vegetation, sprayed poison ivy, and straightened up the garage.
- September 11, 2013 - Finished the vinyl siding on the house, finished Smarttrim wraps around porch posts and beams, started caulking exterior trim, removed the porch roof ladder safety devices and patched nail holes.
- September 14, 2013 - Finished caulking porch trim, put a coat of paint on the trim and balusters, cut all materials for the railings to size, put the wall supports in place, installed one section of railing, and patched and painted a second fascia hole.
- September 18, 2013 - Finished constructing and installing the rear and front porch railings, painted a second coat on the railings and porch trim, and painted the mounting boxes for the gas meter, outside faucets and sump pump drain.
- September 21, 2013 - Applied insulation netting to all exterior walls except the kitchen and staircase walls, caulked small wall cracks, insulated larger wall voids, foamed window and door openings, constructed basement shelves, and did a general trash pickup and sweeping.
- September 25, 2013 - Completed the insulation netting and gluing, completed the construction and first coat of paint on the front sidewalk handrails, caulked the porch railings, and put new aluminum around the garage door jamb.
- September 28, 2013 - Finished insulating the home, coated duct work joints with mastic, fixed the hole in the garage roof and applied more caulk to the porch railings
- October 2, 2013 - Installed brick moulding around the garage car door, completed the garage siding, began hanging drywall in the house (most of two bedrooms complete), and painted some brick moulding.
- October 5, 2013 - Patched the holes in the upstairs ceiling drywall, hung more drywall on the upstairs walls and hung ceiling drywall on the first floor.
- October 9, 2013 - Continued hanging drywall on the second floor of the home.
- October 12, 2013 - Finshed hanging drywall on the second floor of the home, hung drywall in both stairwells and hung drywall on the walls of the first floor bedroom, hallway, half bath and kitchen.
- October 16, 2013 - Completed hanging drywall in the home and cleaned it out for the professional drywall finishers to do their magic.
- October 19-26, 2013 - Corner bead, taping, mudding and sanding by professional drywall crews.
- October 26, 2013 - Planted shrubbery, spread mulch, installed shutters, sanded kitchen floor OSB joints, cleaned walls, vacuumed, primed all walls, and put first coat of paint on kitchen walls.
- October 29, 2013 - Furred out the door jambs for the two exterior doors, put a second coat of paint on the kitchen walls, and put a first coat of paint on the remainder of the main level, both stairwells, the upstairs hallway, and the master bedroom walls.
- October 30, 2013 - Patched numerous drywall anomalies, finished the first coat of paint on all walls, finished the second coat of paint on all walls except the upstairs hallway, upstairs linen closet and foyer, primed the exterior doors' jam extensions, put a final coat of paint on the porch railings, painted the boards beneath the front and rear doors, painted the front door brickmold, painted the front door jamb extension, put the first coat of paint on the front exterior door, and hung the upper cabinets in the kitchen.
- November 2, 2013 - Hung siding between the two roof elevations, put a second coat of paint on three rooms, installed the kitchen base cabinets, put a second coat of paint on the front door, hung nine interior doors, painted and installed NW bedrrom closet door jambs, painted most of the door trim, installed luan in both bathrooms, spread leveler on luan, cut linoleum for bathrooms, sanded OSB floors in living room, foyer and hallway, laid cork underlayment in living room and hallway, and began to lay vinyl plank flooring.
- November 4, 2013 - Painted more trim work and finished laying vinyl plank flooring in the living room.
- November 6, 2013 - Put final coats of exterior paint on front and rear house doors and garage door and associated trim, re-caulked porch posts' base trim, finished painting interior door trim for installation, painted one side of ten interior doors, put final coat of paint on kick boards beneath both house exterior doors, and laid vinyl plank flooring in the foyer and down the main hallway.
- November 9, 2013 - Rerouted the thermostat wire in the wall, patched holes in the wall created by the HVAC and electrical contractors, sanded the basement stairs, laid the vinyl flooring in both bathrooms, laid vinyl plank flooring down the hallway and into half of the kitchen, almost finished painting all baseboard trim and all interior doors, sanded, primed and painted first coat of paint on the sides of the main stairway, installed door trim on the bypass closet door frame and cut much of the interior door trim.
- November 13, 2013 - Installed upstairs door trim, installed northwest bedroom baseboard, caulked nail holes and trim joints, completed flooring in kitchen and pantry, converted roof platform into a laundry table, set bathroom vanity cabinets, and cleaned the basement stairwell floor framing for painting.
- November 14, 2013 - Finished the plank vinyl flooring at the top of the basement stairs, finished baseboard in the northeast bedroom, started baseboard in the upstairs hallway and staircase, put first coat of paint on rear of the bypass doors, and continued putty work.
- November 16, 2013 - Removed stones and other debris from the backyard, cleaned up the weeds from the fence line, removed weeds in the mulched areas, raked the backyard to spread subsoil and then again after the topsoil was delivered, laid two stepping stones near the garage between the sidewalk and concrete parking pad, removed the temporary electric service, installed, primed and painted knee wall caps, installed four window sills, cleaned windows, vacuumed floor registers, installed knobs/pulls on the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, vacuumed out kitchen cabinets and set up shelving, installed kitchen kick plates and cabinet trim, installed vanity trim, installed wire shelving in three bedroom closets, linen closet and pantry, hung and trimmed four interior doors on the main level and the upstairs bathroom, installed door knobs on all installed doors, puttied nail holes and put final coat of paint on all upstairs door trim and most of the upstairs baseboards, caulked baseboards and door trim, primed laundry table, primed and painted basement cattle rails, installed the range hood vent duct, put final coat of paint on the bypass doors, and installed more baseboard upstairs.
- November 19, 2013 - Installed, primed and painted window sills, primed large wall patches, finished baseboard installation upstairs, down the main stairs and in the foyer, trimmed all but four windows and laid vinyl plank flooring in main level bedroom.
- November 20, 2013 - Filled cracks above window sills with drywall compound, painted large wall patch areas, and installed baseboard in living room.
- November 21, 2013 - Hung the main level bedroom and closet doors, completed baseboard on the main level except for the bedroom, trimmed all main level doors, set the kitchen countertops, installed dishwasher end cap, cleaned upstairs in prep for carpet, continued puttying nail holes in trimwork, installed the bypass closet door hardware, almost completed vinyl plank flooring in main level bedroom, and installed bedroom threshold.
- November 23, 2013 - Finished installing baseboard, window, and door trim, continued puttying, painting, and caulking the trim, installed trim in front of the bypass door track, constructed and primed the handrails, installed railing wall brackets, cut out the opening for the kitchen sink, caulked and set sink in place, caulked kitchen counter backsplash, set the vanity tops and side splashes, hung bathroom mirrors, hung remaining closet shelving, installed exterior door peep holes, added batt insulation against the foam insulation sprayed on the first floor band board, trimmed out the basement staircase ledge with plank flooring, baseboard, and edge moulding, put a coat of paint on the new interior replacement door, mounted the mailbox, finished the remaining plank flooring in the bedroom, installed stair nosing strip on the basement step, installed towel bar in the upstairs bathroom, and moved some items from the basement to the garage for pick up by Habitat.
- November 25, 2013 - Put a coat of paint on stair railings, put first coat of paint on the other side of the main level bedroom door, puttied more wall anomalies, caulked trim work overlooked on Saturday, put another coat of paint on laundry table, cut, stained, lacquered and installed quarter-round at front and rear exterior doors, removed cardboard and paper from the main floor, vacuumed and mopped main floor, and moved most construction items to the garage.
- December 7, 2013 -
- December 14, 2013 -
- December 17, 2013 -
- December 18, 2013 -
- December 21, 2013 - The home was dedicated, and the keys were given to Ramona!