Habitat for Humanity
|This album provides a photo journey of the reconstruction of a home on Valleywood Drive in Columbus, Ohio. This project is being done in cooperation with Habitat for Humanity of Mid-Ohio. Volunteers in mission are working side by side to provide affordable housing for an economically disadvantaged family in the area. The following churches contributed to this effort: Hilliard United Methodist, Indian Run United Methodist, St. Brendan Catholic and St. James Lutheran. We thank these churches and their volunteers!
Project history and links to past photos are archived below the photos on this page.
The photos below are from January 12, 2013 when this Habitat home was dedicated, and the keys were given to Munyo, Samsam, and their seven children. What a celebration!!!
Note: You may click on any photo below to get a better view. Low fidelity images of these photos are on the web site to reduce loading times. If you would like a better quality image of any photograph,
just send an email to Howard Baulch.
reports that there have been unique viewers of our photos.
- May 24, 2012 - Made a brief visit to view the home rehab project.
- July 14, 2012 - Held the Commencement Ceremony, let the family take down the first rows of aluminum siding, and despite some rain finished removing all aluminum siding, soffit, gutters, and fascia.
- July 18, 2012 - Brought all 2X3's and 2X4's into the house, framed in and sheeted the glass sliding door, framed and sheeted the bathroom and bedroom windows, installed temporary front door, built a temp wall and cut in the back door, covered all floor openings, and framed out the new electrical box with the 2X3 extension on the exterior
- July 21, 2012 - Installed two LVLs between the kitchen and living room, installed living room window header, framed and sheeted two windows in the master bedroom, refitted windows in bedroom #2 and #3, added the 2X3 surround on the
master bedroom and 2nd and 3rd bedrooms, removed walls between the kitchen & living room, and cleaned and swept garage.
- July 25, 2012 - Removed bad bathroom flooring, added sister floor joist in bathroom, put new decking in bathroom floor, built and erected new bathroom wall, built and erected the 2x3 corners for the rooms, nailed up horizontal 2x3's in bedroom #3, installed smartboard behind the outside electrical box, and put some 2x4's around the previously unsafe area in the bathroom that is above the basement stairs.
- July 28, 2012 - Installed a new floor and shelves in the mobile mini, installed 2x3's in the master bedroom, bedrooms 2 & 3, and upstairs bathroom, framed master bedroom and bedroom #2 closets, and erected basement LVL. Note that the concrete had been poured for the lower level bedrooms, bathroom and laundry room, and that a new electric line had been installed up to the meter.
- August 1, 2012 - Installed a new header for the lower level bathroom window and framed it out, erected the LVL in the lower level near the stairs, removed old baffles in the living room and kitchen areas, put in horizontal 2x3's in the dining area, kitchen and half of the living room, and put in the deadwood 2x3's for the kitchen cabinets.
- August 4, 2012 - Finished installing the horizontal 2x3's in the living room, built and raised the kitchen pantry, built and raised the coat closet, built and installed the kitchen knee wall, built and installed the wall extension at the stairs, scrapped loose paint off the basement walls, built and installed the door header for the laundry room, put blue insulation board on two walls in bedrooms 4 and 5, laid out and redesigned a portion of the layout for the lower level bathroom, and built and raised one of the lower level bathroom walls.
- August 8, 2012 - Horizontal 2x3's were secured with four inch screws, nailers were put down on the bottom plate 2x3's at each wall stud to act as baseboard nailers, bedroom #3's closet was framed in, more insulation board was installed on the garage level, closet openings and doorways for bedrooms 4 & 5 were framed, and the layout was done for the closets in bedrooms 4 & 5. Also, AEP connected our work site with power today, and the foundation walls for the new garage were built.
- August 11, 2012 - Continued framing in the former garage level focusing on bedrooms 4 & 5, the bathroom and the linen closet, completed deadwood installation for baseboard nailers in the two upper levels, and erected the post for the I-beam in the basement level.
- August 15, 2012 - Completed framing lower bathroom, furred down beam in bedroom #5, completed framing laundry room, framed entrance door to bedroom #4, framed header for upstairs' linen closet, put OSB on bedroom #5 window, and sealed cracks in the basement walls.
- August 18, 2012 - Applied dry-lok to basement walls, installed remaining pieces of OSB around windows, installed vytex-type material around house except above living room & kitchen roof, and installed back door. Also, the garage floor and sidewalk from the house to the garage have been poured.
- August 22, 2012 - Wrapped and installed all upstairs' bedroom windows, installed the living room triple window, installed the bedroom #4 window, replaced the existing front door with an extended jamb front door, put up insulation board on the front basement wall, and began framing the front basement wall.
- August 23, 2012 - Cut and laid out plates for garage walls.
- August 25, 2012 - Built, sheathed and raised the garage walls, built, sheathed and raised the garage gable trusses, and raised the interior garage trusses.
- August 29, 2012 - Wrapped the garage door opening with 2x6's, put catwalks on the garage trusses, made some adjustments to the garage gable trusses, sheathed the garage roof, wrapped the garage walls with Grip-rite, and put hurricane clips on the garage trusses.
- September 1, 2012 - Put hurricane clips on most of the house trusses, continued work on the laundry room area, hung the man door for the garage, put lock sets on the garage man door and the house rear door, completed framing the basement front wall, framed half of the basement west wall, and framed one interior basement wall.
- September 5, 2012 - Finished putting hurricane clips on the house trusses, boarded up the car door opening for the garage, cut and placed in spot the insulation boards for the remainder of the basement, framed and raised an interior wall for the basement, and received delivery of the basement windows, the vinyl siding, the tub shower, the shower stall, the bricks and the shingles.
- September 8, 2012 - The master bath was insulated and OSB was put on two master bath walls, old vent holes in the kitchen floor were patched, the beam in the finished basement room was boxed in, the bedroom #5 window was installed, the shower bathroom window was installed, thermax was glued & fastened, the utility room walls were installed, the storage room walls were completed, the returns were put on the garage, tyvek was completed above the kitchen/family room roof, and the underside of the steps were reinforced.
- September 12, 2012 - Began vinyl F-channel and soffits on the west wall, assisted plumbers with re-working the stairs' ceiling for the master bath, and assessed new opportunities created by initial plumbing, hvac and electric work.
- September 15, 2012 - Smartboard was re-installed behind the electrical box, the stove vent was installed in the west wall, vinyl starter strips were put up on the west and north sides of the house, soffit was completed on the west and north sides of the house, most of the vinyl siding was hung on the west side of the house, vinyl corner posts were hung on the north side of the house, vinyl J-channel was hung on the west and north sides of the house, and the living room window was caulked and "boxed in place".
- September 19, 2012 - Completed the vinyl siding on the west side of the house, hung some soffit on the front of the house, hung vinyl siding on two-thirds of the rear of the house, completed soffit on the rear of the house, put up fascia aluminum on the west and rear of the house, and removed a rotten fascia board on the front of the house.
- September 22, 2012 - Evaluated ideas for mechanical room wall re-work, put a new fascia board on the roof overhang, finished the soffit on the front of the house, completed the aluminum on the south and north sides, finished J-channel trim on the north side, finished vinyl siding on the east side, and put up vinyl starter strips for the front of the home.
- September 26, 2012 - Lowered the kitchen knee wall and removed a jack stud to accommodate the cabinet layout, put a cap chase at the top of the pantry and furred out the pantry walls to accommodate the plumbing and ductwork, taped the thermax in the basement, redesigned and rebuilt the mechanical room walls to accommodate the HVAC unit placement and add a reading/study nook to the basement living area, built a soffit around ductwork in the reading/study nook, built a soffit around ductwork in bedroom #4, and installed temporary steps out the house rear door.
- September 29, 2012 - Finished the soffits, fascia aluminum and siding for the house, put up a handrail for the temporary rear steps, began the soffit and vinyl siding on the garage, put the aluminum trim and brick mold on the garage car door, filled in the electric line ditch between the house and the garage, and staked down the porta-potty with rebar.
- October 3, 2012 - Found out that an inspector is requiring us to put 5/8" fire-rated drywall on the inside AND outside of the east garage wall which necessitates re-work for us, removed the vinyl siding from the north garage wall, removed the vinyl corners, F-channel and starter strips from the east garage wall, framed and put up OSB for the attic access areas, dug four 3-foot deep post holes for the rear deck, framed the basement family room glass block window, built up the frame for the bedroom #4 window and filled its bottom and sides with expanding foam, furred down the LVL in the kitchen area to match the other LVL dimension, added dead wood in a variety of places, patched all old register vent holes with new decking, sealed off the main living area attic space, did a major clean out of the house, and carried the scraps and trash to the dumpster down the street.
- October 6, 2012 - Caulked the exterior seams between the floor and the doubled 2X4s, foamed the holes between the various floor levels and the roof, put batting insulation on the corners, started putting the baffles on the roof trusses, and finished the baffles in the Master bedroom, bedroom #2 and the upper bathroom.
- October 10, 2012 - Finished installing the baffles in the house, put in a new grounding stake, sealed and caulked areas overlooked on Saturday, put deadwood in the two lower levels for baseboard in the corners, sealed off the main level attic space from the upper level, framed for an access panel to the waste line clean-out and had our framing inspection.
- October 13, 2012 - Put insulation firestops in four areas of the house, stapled the insulation netting in place for all exterior wall cavities, rolled paste onto all exterior studs to seal the insulation netting, removed the Tyvek from the east side of the garage, hung 5/8" fire-rated drywall on the exterior of the east side of the garage as well as its eaves, put new Tyvek on the east exterior wall of the garage to protect the drywall from water damage, and painted the first coat of drylok on the upper portion of the exterior concrete blocks of the house.
- October 17, 2012 - Insulated the exterior walls.
- October 20, 2012 - Added more insulation firestops requested by the inspector, hung 5/8" fire-rated drywall on the interior of the east side of the garage, put the Z-channel over the garage door brickmold, put J-channel around the garage door brickmold, added extra support for the existing interior stairsteps, blocked in the two lower level windows, modified the returns on the east side of the garage to align with the re-hung vinyl corner posts, re-hung and finished the vinyl siding for the rear of the garage, hung all soffit for the garage, and began hanging vinyl siding on the front of the garage.
- October 24, 2012 - Finished the vinyl siding and fascia aluminum on the garage, sorted and stacked the remaining vinyl siding, channels, and soffit material in the garage, removed the old stairs to the basement, installed new stairs to the basement level, replaced the top tread on the stairs leading to the lower level, painted dry-lok on some of the bare exterior concrete walls, marked the locations of ceiling joists for hanging ceiling drywall, and set up the drywall lifts in the basement and main level.
- October 27, 2012 - Re-installed the bedroom #5 window, attached insulation depth markers to ceiling joists, hung almost all ceiling drywall and began hanging drywall on a couple of walls.
- October 29, 2012 - Hung drywall on the walls in the basement level and over half of the main level.
- October 31, 2012 - Finished hanging ceiling drywall in the house, extended the jamb on the rear door, finished hanging drywall on the main level except for wrapping the post, wrapping the right beam and around the front door where the jamb needs to be extended more, finished hanging drywall in all three stairwells, finished hanging drywall in the lower bathroom except around the shower where wall shims need to be fashioned, and almost finished hanging drywall in bedroom #5 and its closet.
- November 3, 2012 - Finished hanging drywall in the house and worked on Neighbor Helping Neighbor projects.
- November 4, 2012 - Addressed one drywall oversight from Saturday.
- November 5-14, 2012 - Corner bead, taping, mudding and sanding by professional drywall crews.
- November 17, 2012 - Primed all interior walls, finished cut-in of paint in the top level, started cut-in of paint in the main level, and put one coat of paint on the master bedroom walls.
- November 19, 2012 - Removed the temporary garage car door, finished framing for the garage door opener, and built the deck and stairs for the rear house door.
- November 24, 2012 - Finished the first coat of the interior paint on all the rooms, painted the second coat on the kitchen/dining/living room, pantry, coat closet, both bathrooms, master bedroom and bedrooms 2 and 3, attached the carriage bolts to the rear deck, completed the railings around the deck except for the top rail and the attachment of the bottom of spindles going down the steps.
- November 26, 2012 - Finished second coat of interior paint, started painting door trim and baseboards, painted exterior smart boards, and painted front door frame.
- November 28, 2012 - Painted all window trim, painted all but 24 pieces of door trim, painted sliding closet door frames, painted all but 20 pieces of baseboard, powerwashed exterior concrete blocks, and installed insulation above attic access doors. Habitat has done landscaping and had garage door and opener installed.
- December 1, 2012 - Installed kitchen cabinets, painted dryloc on concrete blocks, painted exterior doors and continued painting panel doors and interior trim.
- December 3, 2012 - Installed 6 of 8 window sills, painted remainder of baseboards, put second coat of paint on front and rear exterior doors, painted underside of front exterior overhang, painted all but two panel doors, leveled floor in lower bathroom and laundry room, put luan down in master bathroom, and began master bathroom cabinet installation.
- December 5, 2012 - Primed and painted window sills, painted panel doors, filled cracks in luan, and laid linoleum in master bathroom, lower bathroom and laundry room.
- December 8, 2012 - Hung doors in lower two levels, completed door trim and baseboard in basement level, cased laundry room and two bedroom closets, installed bathroom vanities, hung door and completed trim in master bathroom, painted existing window sills, installed trim under most window sills, and began to putty nail holes.
- December 10, 2012 - Puttied nail holes, installed last window sill, painted more interior doors, and trimmed out more door frames.
- December 12, 2012 - Finished the trim work in the upper three bedrooms, took off about a dozen and one-half switch and outlet plates to add joint compound so that the plates cover appropriately, patched numerous wall areas, did some ceiling touch-up, repainted the upstairs attic access supports and painted the sides of all stairs. Habitat put the security cage over the air conditioner, removed the lamp post and erected a new mailbox.
- December 15, 2012 - Finished the trim work in the lower bathroom, bedroom #5 and the laundry room, laid the laminate wood flooring in the living room, dining area and kitchen, puttied nail holes in trim work, put a second coat of paint on all window sills, did paint touch-up on trim work, and painted the garage door brick mold, garage man door, and garage man door brick mold.
- December 16, 2012 - Put a second coat of paint on the garage man door and painted all of the drywall repair areas around electrical plates and window sills.
- December 17, 2012 - Hung the pantry, coat closet and linen closet doors, finished the trimwork in the bedroom lower level, trimmed the linen closet doors and all main level doors, puttied nail holes, painted more interior doors, spot painted trimwork and sills, re-installed the electrical plates removed last week, patched a few drywall dings, and installed ten of the interior door handle sets. Habitat spread grass seed and straw in the backyard, installed the two basement window wells, and hung seven window shutters.
- December 19, 2012 - Finished the baseboards in the upstairs hallway and all stairways, put in most of the main floor baseboard, installed all hinged door stops, painted the remaining interior doors, painted the interior stair rails, puttied nail holes, spot painted trimwork, received the kitchen countertops, set the sink base kitchen countertop, patched a number of drywall areas, reconstructed the upper bathroom vanity and caulked the trimwork in the upper level. Habitat hung the remaining shutters, delivered the plumbing and bathroom fixtures and removed most of the extra material from the garage.
- December 22, 2012 - Finished the baseboards in the main level, installed all rigid door stops, hung all but three of the window blinds, finished constructing the rear deck, puttied nail holes, spot painted trimwork, finished setting the sink base kitchen countertop, set the rear kitchen countertop, touched up wall paint, installed kitchen and bathroom cabinet hardware, installed bathroom towel bars and toilet paper holders, installed extended door strikes, put up shelving in both linen closets, pantry and two bedrooms, almost finished caulking trim work (about 1/4 of main level remains), hung some of the sliding closet doors, cut and installed the interior stair railings and vacuumed several of the rooms.
- December 27, 2012 - Moved all supplies, tables, etc. to main level, cleaned, vacuumed, patched and mopped uncarpeted floor areas for carpet installation, set bathroom counter tops, trimmed out the front and rear door entries with stained quarterround, almost finished trim work on the main level and for all sliding closet doors, caulked more trim work, spot painted trim work, installed peep holes for front and rear exterior doors, finished installing interior door handle sets, hung bathroom mirrors, patched miscellaneous wall anomalies, hung bathroom mirrors, installed master bath shower rod, and moved unneeded materials and tools to the garage for removal by Habitat. Carpet was installed by professionals in upper bedroom level and on the stairs.
- December 29, 2012 - Vacuumed the newly laid carpet in the upper and lower bedroom levels, hung remaining sliding closet doors, trimmed the length of all doors to swing freely in the carpeted areas, installed remaining closet shelving in the closets and laundry room, hung remaining window blinds, replaced shelving in the kitchen pantry with deeper shelving, touched up paint on walls and trim work, caulked more trim work, cleaned lower bathroom shower, installed lower bathroom shower rod and installed closet sliding door finger pulls on all but one set of doors.
- January 2, 2013 - Trimmed, puttied, caulked and painted living room window, installed floor guide and finger buttons for sliding closet doors in bedroom #5, vacuumed family room carpet, caulked edges of tub and shower, re-puttied and painted some trimwork, put final coat of paint on window sills, and did some wall paint touch-up.
- January 5, 2013 - Vacuumed carpet throughout house and laid carpet protector, cleaned windows and window screens, touched up paint on walls and trimwork, touched up ceiling spackle, cleaned kitchen cabinets and sink, cleaned mechanical room, caulked bathroom vanity tops, cleaned master bath tub, painted tub and shower edges where caulked previously, cleaned laminate flooring, cleaned vinyl flooring, touched up stain on laminate flooring, installed permanent door hardware for front, rear and garage man doors, replaced electrical outlet in kitchen side panel, finished installed dishwasher, installed screw covers on exterior doors, removed all HAAH supplies and materials from home, and staged remaining Habitat supplies and materials for removal.
- January 10, 2012 - Cleaned and polished the main floor laminate wood floors.
- January 12, 2013 - This Habitat home was dedicated, and the keys were given to Munyo, Samsam, and their seven children. What a celebration!!!